Sunday, April 1, 2012

creative capacity in education system


In that video Ken Robinson criticize the current education system in the world. By emphasizing the main issues  about how kids should be educated to make them more creative and intelligence person, he claims the education system has to be prepared for the view of intelligence to have a chance to be wrong as students are learning. Moreover it should consist of the art subjects except from basic disciplines such as mathematics, science in order to improve the creative capacities of the students. I entirely agree with him. Our current education system is based on the main academic subjects and does not offer any opportunity to become an author, a painter, a dancer...etc. In other words, the students are being educated out of their creative capacities.
     I have a story related with this. When I was primary school, I was interesting in folk dancing.  After we were trained for one year in school, my folklore group attained a competition. We were the third as degree. It was great experience for me. However I couldn't last this talent because of the education system as it requires to study the main subjects for preparing the exams. 
    I want to reflect the significance of this issue by making reference another experience of mine. As Mr.Robinson said that ''By the time children get to be adults most kids have lost their creative capacity.'' When I was high school, we had a language lab to be able to learn English effectively. It was very useful for this aim with our English teacher. We learned writing, reading and even speaking in English. Unfortunately like the previous experience of mine we had to quit this training because of the education system again. 
     To be honest, I don't feel that I am now able to be creative as I was in high school.  As I am getting older, it becomes a bit harder to learn new things especially to be required having creative capacity.
      peole whom I commented:
      beril
      erkan ertem

3 comments:

  1. The issue of the 'creative and performing arts' that Robinson explores seems to be a very common issue for us all. See Ozlem's post at http://obereketligil.blogspot.com/2012/04/education-kills-creativity.html and my comment there.

    Your point is a valid one--we seem to 'sacrifice' the enjoyment of life (drawing, dancing, music) for the realities of prepraing to work for a living. Dilsemi's reflection suggests that our current educational system and philosophy is still rooted in 19th century industrial revolution ideals, where the children of workers needed to be looked after as both parents were working. They were the future workers in the factories, the idea of 'schools' were born to make sure that they wouldn't get up to mischief, and rather grow up to be suitable workers who could follow orders and do what they were told.

    Erkan gives us a different perspective as a student in the 'sciences' field and claims that the basic premise of current formal education is to produce 'good' citizens as well as 'good' workers. And the best way of doing this is to keep students so busy with exams and homework, that they have little time to do anything else--which is your point about having to drop out of the dance club because of academic pressures to pass exams.

    My goal continues to strive to relearn what I had already known when I was a child -- how to create, think and enjoy learning -- which was gradually beaten out of me by my formal education. However. like you, I did have teachers along the way that somehow were able to promote creativity and critical thinking despite the efforts of standardized education to suppress this. The fact that I still have occasion to come up with some creative moments is largely thanks to them. I hope that as teachers we will not lose sight of passing on some kind of similar inspiration to our students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes,Meryem I agree with you. We all faced the sama problem in primary and high school mathematics, physics language lessons were important than music and art lessons. we had to study these lessons for prepairing high school entrance exam or ÖSS. Hopefully, in the future this system changes and gives a chance to students to be more creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Meryem. You emphasized an important issue. I think all students have at least one experiance on this topic because all schools give more importance to science than creativty. As beril said we had to study academic subjects to enter ÖSS and to enter a good university so we had no time to do any creative work. Moreover, theachers always affect students, they don't encourage students on the contrary they prevent them . I have an experience to this as an example, you can enter my blog and read it.

    ReplyDelete