Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Are you a user or owner?

If I created a new thing, I would license my work by using the copyleft principle of Creative Commons. On the other hand, when I want to use a work which belongs to someone, I wouldn't use it without permission or compensation it deserves. Copyright refers to the legal rights to an original work. Technology, particularly the internet, marks the accession of digital materials much easier. Therefore, we should use all these materials in a professional and ethical manner.
However, there may be a lot of work which is for nonprofit educational purposes rather than a commercial nature. In this case, using a copyrighted work for an educational objective can be more likely considered as ''fair use'' than using it for commercial gain.

1 comment:

  1. Fair use is a tricky concept, and primarily observed in the U.S. What I tend to do is look for material that has a 'copyleft' licence, and then I don't have to worry about contacting the original author or creator--I just give their name and the source. You will be surprised at how many people simply copy and paste material, and publish it as if they created it. Have you come across such instances of plagiarism?

    ReplyDelete